Friday, February 12, 2010

Baby Einstein Bad for Baby?

My 14-month-old already knows the Walt Disney logo when her Baby Einstein videos come on. She jumps up and down, waving her arms in the air shrieking and clapping with delight. (Quite similar to how I feel when Daddy lets me sleep in on Sundays). I now understand why that company is the behemoth that it is.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recently denounced TV of any kind for children under 2…this is taken directly from their website:

It may be tempting to put your infant or toddler in front of the television, especially to watch shows created just for children under age two. But the American Academy of Pediatrics says: Don't do it! These early years are crucial in a child's development…

But I do have to interject here…who are these “Academy of Pediatrics”? Do THEY know what it is like to spend an entire day with a toddler? Do THEY understand the implications of trying to entertain a wee little brain for the entire day? My big adult brain would atrophy if I spent 24/7 catering to my daughter’s every whim. I see no harm in letting her watch a few minutes of a very well crafted set of videos that introduce her to art, music, and the basic concepts of becoming human.

Besides, I NEED to have that 30 minutes to 1 hour a day to stay sane. Okay, some days (like the week before I planned her birthday party) it was more than that. Way more. I admit it. I have used it as a babysitter. But before you judge me, PLEASE…we have to look at the big picture here people! I am now a stay-at-home mom. She gets TONS of quality time with me. I not only personally take care of her every need, she is developing the ability to play independently while learning to LOVE great music at the same time. Even if it is background noise while she’s playing.

My daughter is a very happy baby.





I know people will argue and say, “Well, you made the choice to stay at home.” Number 1) No, I did not. I lost my job last year if you remember correctly from my first post. And b) Now that I am home with her under this forced house arrest, I wouldn’t want it any other way. It’s remarkable watching her grow, learn and discover this world…isn’t a few hours of videos better than throwing her in daycare all week?

If I didn’t take advantage of this AMAZING resource my house would be a pigsty, I would never be able to get any work done on my projects, and no one in the outside world would even know I exist. Which…if you think about it, might not be a bad thing while I go through my wearing-pajamas-all-day-and-not-brushing-teeth phase of life. Who said motherhood was easy?

Besides, I’m trapped in a snow-infested land here for the next few weeks without a car. What else are we going to do all day while everyone else is at work? There’s only so much playing peek-a-boo, reading books, and watching birds outside in the feeder a woman can do without losing her marbles.

Happy Mama makes a Happy Baby.



See?

And she likes animals because of her favorite Baby Einstein DVD, World Animal Adventure. So there.

God Bless Baby Einstein!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment